Thursday, August 26, 2010

When Nothing's Working...Do Nothing

My body is tired, very tired. My mind is tired too. I have no desire to do cardio, no desire to train and my energy level is very low right now. I feel like all I want to do is sleep. I'm not depressed, just underfed and overtrained and ready for a break. My body isn't responding to the intensity of my training or the strictness of my diet anymore. Yesterday I bailed on the gym completely. No morning cardio and no evening lift/cardio. No gym, period!

I decided last night that it's time to take a break. Give my body a rest and clear my head. I read in the Septemberissue  of O Magazine, an article by Martha Beck titled "Lying Low" and how to deal with the ebbs and flows of life. One of the key statements that really hit home with me is "Do Nothing When Nothing Works." My body has not been responding to things that it normally would and so I have finally decided to listen to it and...DO NOTHING.

Last night as this revelation hit me that I need to take a big 'ole REST, I emailed my coach (according to the new plan...provide the game plan first and ask for feedback. Do NOT ask for the plan. Yeah, he's trying to help me with the "trust yourself" concept). The plan is no gym for a week. I'm going to rest my body, sleep and do things that relax me and focus on a few things in my life that could use a little more attention right now. The kids start school next week, so the timing is prefect. If I feel up to it at the end of next week I'll slowly start back with some cardio. In another week after that I'll slowly start adding back the weights...IF...I feel ready physically. My body is so tired physically. I can't remember a time when I felt so tired like this. Maybe after giving birth...wow, what's that saying?!

My diet will be clean but not restricted. I'm not counting calories or macros, just eating when hunger strikes and staying on a 2-3 hour meal schedule. I ate soup today. I can't remember the last time I ate soup. It was yummy and a perfect day for it. And I've been eating blueberries like they're going out of season. Oh wait...they are! I can't have them in the house anymore. I'm hoping to reset my body and when I hit it again my body will be happy with me for resting and respond again.

It's like my coach said...if you don’t take the time to rest now, the body will MAKE the time it needs by causing you to lay flat on your back through sickness, illness, or disease.  I think you went through something like that before, correct?  Glad you recognized the warning signs this go-round.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you recognizing the need for rest. Soup - honestly it's got to be one of the best things around - don't avoid soup! And if you are enjoying blueberries eat them with abandon - lots of good things in them and they'll be gone soon.
    I'd love to see you when you are rested - I know you'll be glowing even brighter!

    ReplyDelete