Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Mind Over Matter

This is a duplicate post to what I posted tonight on my craigproductions.com blog, but considering how close I am to Vancouver I wanted to have a copy of it here too!


I have officially entered the "mental game" of competition. It's the point when your training and dieting simply become a "mind over matter" issue. I fully believe that we all have the mental capability to push our bodies to whatever point we desire. It's a matter of whether you will choose to push yourself to the limit...or not.

I was training a client the other day who stood, thinking about the exercise I had just instructed before beginning. I knew that she was thinking she couldn't do it and I just said to her..."it's mind over matter. You either decide you CAN do it and get it done or don't do it." The client nodded and did the exercise, completing ever rep instructed. I'm not saying it's easy, but it is definitely a matter of making a decision to do something and then mentally gearing yourself up to make it happen.

I trained legs yesterday - heavy again - and today my legs are tired. They're heavy, like...uh...tree stumps. This morning I did my back workout and finished with 40 minutes on the stepmill, level 15. It was hard. I was dragging and I wanted to quit...maybe I'll just do 20, okay maybe 30 minutes. I had to keep telling myself..."I am a FINISHER, I do not quit early." I was really having a hard time and I wanted to cut it short, but I didn't. Tonight at Gold's I did another hour of cardio and again, I was dragging and I wanted to quit. I had to coach myself through the entire hour...along with the Chemical Bros...they were helpful too. It was definitely a mental game getting myself through the hour and when the hour came to an end, I was drenched in sweat, exhausted but exhilarated. And hungry too!

It's hard to watch the guys at work scarfing down PB&J sandwiches while I eat my chicken breasts and veggies. Just the smell of those sandwiches makes me feel like I'm cheating. I never eat PB&J's, but I would kill for one right now. But I am keeping my eyes on the prize and am constantly reminding myself that I am almost to that moment that I have been preparing for all year and I am not losing sight of the finish. I came home and ate my chicken breast while I watched my children eat grilled cheese sandwich. Again, stuff I NEVER eat, but when in diet mode it looks very appealing.

My mind is strong and I will meet my goal. Just taking it one day at a time, putting one foot in front of the other until I put on my 5" hooker heels and step on stage...all this hard work will be worth it!!

"STRENGTH DOES NOT COME FROM PHYSICAL CAPACITY. IT COMES FROM INDOMITABLE WILL." Mahatma Ghandi

~Julie~
Fearless, with cape in hand

No comments:

Post a Comment