Sunday, March 28, 2010

The "Fix-It" Ring

My ex-husband gave me a gorgeous eternity band for our 6th wedding anniversary on October 5th, 2008. It was the morning after my first competition, the Washington Ironman. I had told him in June of that year that I thought I wanted to get a divorce. Considering that, and the fact that this was no "important" anniversary, I never really liked the intent with which I felt the ring was given. Certainly, it was the one piece of jewelry I had always wanted to have, but not that way. I rarely wore the ring...even though it is absolutely stunning.

I wanted to wear it for my competition. It's very blingy and I wanted something on my finger and I thought maybe I could change the "terms" of this ring. Since it was given the morning after my first competition I thought I could deem it the "competition ring." Enough people agreed with me and thought this would be okay, so on Friday morning I picked up the ring from my mom and put it on my right hand. Something was comforting about putting the ring on and I can't really say why.

Yesterday morning I was getting my tan sprayed on and I had to take the ring off and set it on the table so it wouldn't get gunked up. As Bren was tying my suit backstage I suddenly realized I didn't have the ring on my hand. I had a momentary freak-out. Just as quickly I calmed down and said to Bren..."I'm not meant to wear the ring this morning. It's just not meant to be. I'll figure out later where it is and I'll wear it tonight." Sure enough, the ring was right where I left it.

I told Bren I found the ring and that I was going to wear it on stage that night. She just looked at me and shook her head. I said..."No go, huh? It's bad juju isn't it?" Yep, she said. So that settled it, no ring. I think it makes me sad that I have this beautiful piece of jewelry that really is the only piece I've ever really wanted. I'm just not much of a jewelry person. I have this beautiful ring and I'll never wear it again.

I still haven't decided what to do with it. The only thing that was certain about that ring that was made clear yesterday was that it was NOT meant to be on my hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment