Saturday, January 30, 2010

TEF

I first learned about the Thermic Effect of Food (TEF) from Dave last year when I was training for the Emerald Cup. I remember sitting in the audience with him and Butch before I went on stage for prejudging, sucking on a Jolly Rancher when I started getting hot and sweating. Oh not to worry, Dave says, that's the thermic effect of food. Fascinating!

And let us not leave out the thermic effect of exercise. Dave likes the full sweats mode for this - I can't stand it. There is nothing worse to me than wearing long pants, long sleeves and sweating profusely! YUCK! It just feels nasty. I hold off as long as possible until it becomes a must in my training.

My nutrition is totally dialed in and it's not uncommon for me to start sweating during or right after eating. And you know you're a little crazy when you think that's kind of cool. But, it really is. The human body is absolutely fascinating. In dealing with clients I realize how uneducated the general population is about nutrition.

Dave has written a great article about METABOLISM. Definitely worth a read if you want to understand more about how food and exercise impact your metabolism...why wouldn't you want to know?! :)

Alright so today is low carb day #2 and so far not so bad. My weight dropped 3.5lbs this morning, water weight obviously, but nice to see it drop back down after the high carb day on Thursday. I'm also trying to get LOADS of veggies every day in at least 4 of my meals. I've got my nutrition totally dialed in and I'm totally on track and it feels awesome!!! I did an hour on the stepmill after work today and it really sucked. It was the last thing I wanted to be doing. Very helpful that another figure competitor hopped on the stepmill next to me about 20 minutes in and we could commiserate together. Always feels great to be finished and know that I DID NOT QUIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment