Saturday, September 26, 2009

The One You Least Expect

I've been wanting to blog about this for awhile, but considering the fact that I have been so busy with work that I've not seen my kids, haven't had time to check my mail or even wash my hair for that matter, I had to put it off til now.

Some of you may not even know this about me: I have a sister. Just one. No other siblings. She is 3 years older than me. We've never been close. We don't talk on the phone. We don't shop together or hang out. We basically see each other at our parents' house on holidays. That's about it.

We're a lot alike in many ways. Both headstrong, independent, take-on-the-world and win kinda girls. We are powerhouses, but she takes the prize as the most powerful powerhouse. We're also as different as night is from day. If you're not careful she'll run you over. I take the more passive approach and just walk away.

If you don't already know, my sister, Rebecca, was responsible for connecting me with the folks at DBG (DavidBartonGym). It was awesome. When she heard of my divorce and that I was getting my RE license she asked why wasn't I going into personal training and I told her I wasn't certified, no one would take me. She told me she could hook me up. I was beyond thrilled and remained thrilled thru the whole process. And then after we got in and started training things started to fall apart. Promises broken, rules changed, it wasn't what I expected.

My parents have been in Europe for the last few weeks, so I was kind of left to fend for myself with babysitters and such. Fortunately, my sister filled in to support me emotionally in their absence. Again, remember...we see each other only on major holidays even though we live 10 minutes apart. Every time something was going wrong with the gym, Rebecca was there with words of support, suggestions for what to do and say. Empowering me to take control of a situation that I felt very helpless in.

The last day I walked into the gym I felt a physical feeling in my core that just told me I was in the wrong place and leaving was only a matter of time. I sat in the breakroom talking to a coworker about it and he tried to talk me into staying. I knew I couldn't. I just knew leaving was inevitable, this wasn't the place for me. I walked out into the entry to the gym and there was my sister with her business coach. Coincidence? I don't think so. I talked to the two of them and told them I was ready to walk out and they fully supported my decision and empowered me to take control of my situation.

The point is...sometimes when you least expect it, the person you least expect to come thru for you is the one who does. My sister has continued to support me in my quest to obtain my NSCA certification and find a new place to train. A place that values their employees and values work-life balance. I am truly blessed to have such a supportive family who is looking out for me and my kids.

I would feel really guilty if I posted this without including that after I walked into the gym that morning I walked out onto NE8th Street and called my dear friend Kristie for a "gut check". As always, Kristie was there despite her own crazy schedule. And I thank her for reminding me that what I was about to do was right for me and my children. I needed that sounding board and I am grateful that she is always there to be it for me.

I am truly blessed with amazing people in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment