Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Diet & Female Hormones


Okay, so if you're a guy, you may want to skip this one. However, if your name is Dave, might be good for you to read so you know this about me.

As many of my girlfriends and my mom friends know, I have been dealing with night sweats since January of 2007. I've been tested for everything under the sun. Fortunately, I do not have any life-threatening diseases and my hormones seem to be in balance. I was finally given the option of trying an estrogen cream, but chose not to take it as I do not want to further alter my hormones out of concern of how it may impact my training and physique. Some may call that vain, but it's a sport and I take it seriously and I don't want to take anything that would impede my progress.

So here's how it has been: When the sweats first kicked up they were every night and they were vicious!!! Then it seemed as I started getting lean in spring of 2008 they started to be just for about the week before my cycle. And then...as I prepared for the Ironman last fall they went away altogether. Sure enough, as soon as I put on a little body fat, they returned. Of course, as I got leaner close to my Vancouver show, the sweats were gone again. I have put on a little body fat, but not really that much, but the sweats have returned. Now, it could be coincidental and just my hormones adjusting but...

I was listening to one of the Jillian Michaels podcasts I recently started downloading on my ipod and she was talking about Omega 6 fats and how they mess with your hormones. And plastics and beauty products that also can affect your hormone levels. A lightbulb went off in my head: what if I do a little experiment on myself and see if it's not the Omega 6's that are interfering with my hormones. My competition diet is ridiculously low in dietary fats, so maybe that's something I need to play with to keep my hormones in balance when I am not "dieting down."

The Jillian Michaels podcasts are VERY cool and VERY informative for fitness, diet and just general well-being. And most importantly, she is really FUN to listen to and delivers a great message! I highly recommend her podcasts.

As for my experiment...I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment