Sunday, August 14, 2011

Why I Hate EXCUSES!!!

One of my biggest challenges in my job is trying to deal with client excuses in a tactful, yet real way that is true to myself and who I am while not alienating my client. I'm not trying to lose a client, yet at the same time, I don't have the patience for most of the bullshit excuses people hand me.

First of all...save your excuses. If you don't want to do something, don't do it. No skin off my back. Tell me you're not going to do it, tell me you don't want to do it. Fine. I appreciate your honesty and I it's not my job to want it for you, so I'm not going to pry and ask questions. But when you start to give me all the reasons you "can't" do something it really pisses me off. For example...

"I'm not coming to class today." Perfect. Fine by me.

"I'm not coming to class today because I've been up since 5am." What did you just say? Did you just tell me you can't come because you've been up since 5am? Or even better..."My husband is out of town so I can't work out." You can bring your baby to the damn gym, what's your husband's absence got to do with your ability to work out? Is he going to do it for you? Yeah, the "early riser" and the husband out of town excuses are among my top pet peeves. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why.

During my afternoon cardio yesterday I was really tired. Lightheaded, feeling faint, no energy - even after popping a couple thermos and drinking my AmiNO Energy. The feeling of..."A pizza would fix all of this!" The pizza is not on my list of options, nor is quitting early. While trying to focus my thoughts on something other than the matter at hand, I decide to start mapping out my week - I've got a crazy one coming up and scheduling everything is going to be a bit of a trick. I will get everything done, it's just going to take some solid planning on my part and there are going to be some long, tight days and I know I'm going to get tired.

Using the excuse..."Wednesday is so crazy busy I think I'm going to have to miss my workout"...is absolutely not an option. When I'm not in contest prep mode I will cut myself a little slack. Sometimes I do have to miss a workout, especially if it is in the best interest of my children or my business...but it is always for just cause. You will never hear me say I'm not working out because it was a long night with the kids (and let me tell you...last night WAS!!!) or that I'm too tired.

It drives me crazy when people will find the smallest, most insignificant reason NOT to do something. Whether it is fitness/nutrition related or otherwise. Be honest. Just say "I don't WANT to!" Leave out the "because"...

I can't because...
I won't because...
I didn't because...

Screw BECAUSE!! Save it! It's no skin of my back or anyone else's WHY you can't/won't/didn't do something. It's just annoying when you start making stupid excuses for that why. It's no skin off my back but it is highly irritating to hear your excuses.

Yep, I definitely feel better getting that off my chest! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment