Friday, July 16, 2010

Thriving

I was outside watering my hanging flower baskets this afternoon and I was pleasantly surprised to see that my favorite basket, the purple petunias, was looking quite vibrant and amazing. I have 6 baskets hanging around my house and the purple petunias are on the back corner of the house and unfortunately, I had forgotten them back there earlier in the week. When I went outside yesterday morning they were in sad shape. Such sad shape that I didn't know if I'd be able to save them. I was kicking myself for forgetting them. My baskets are my favorite summer hobby and I pride myself on having the best baskets in the neighborhood. I have a secret to making them look so amazing, but I can't tell...you never know, my neighbors might read this blog. ;)

When I went out this afternoon to give the purple petunias more water I was so excited to see them thriving and it hit me...it's really simple, give the plants what they need and they completely thrive. Just like people. Just like me. Just like you. In my past couple months of reflecting I've realized that I rarely give myself what I need to thrive. I have a knack for pushing myself beyond what is healthy for me. I sacrifice taking time to give myself what I need for focusing on my kids, my career, my training, my diet. All of my adult life I've been somebody's mother. All of my adult life it's been my job to take care of someone other than just myself. I've never had the "luxury" of taking care of just me and so I think I just don't know how to do that and I also think I that I feel like it's something I don't deserve. But, it's never too late to learn!

I'm sure that there are a lot of mothers like me who spend most of their time making sure they meet the needs of others rather than themselves. The lessons I've learned over the last months have made me acutely aware of how important it is to take care of myself. I've noticed that even the smallest things, like taking 20 minutes at the end of the day to sit down and read or do something I enjoy, makes a huge difference for me. It's one small thing I can do to take care of myself. Since I've been making a conscious effort to take care of myself, to give myself water everyday if you will, I've noticed that I feel better, I have more energy, I am more patient with others. I don't feel deprived anymore and that is a really good feeling. It doesn't take much...just one small thing, everyday that's just for you. It's been truly amazing how great of a difference this has made in my life...like the petunias, I feel like I'm thriving again!

1 comment:

  1. I am not a neighbor... please tell me your secret to having the best hanging baskets in the neighborhood!!!! Is it fertilizer??

    ReplyDelete