Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Year Without Football

If you've followed my blog for any length of time you are aware that football, specifically the Minnesota Vikings, had a huge impact on the demise of my marriage. A typical Sunday at our house looking like this: game on the big screen in the living room, game on the kitchen tv, game on the den tv, game on the PC, game on the radio on the laptop and 3 fantasy football leagues going. Our house is quite open, so the living room/kitchen area is kind of one big space, so you couldn't really escape football without leaving the house. That wasn't the cause of the demise and I won't bother going there today, but I'm sure you get the idea that I've had my share of the NFL over the years.

So, I decided this fall that this would be the YEAR WITHOUT FOOTBALL. No football in my home this year. I'm not a hater, I just needed a little break is all. Today is the Super Bowl and the last day of the Year Without Football. It's been really nice to have quiet Sundays without the tv on, without the yelling, without the cigar smoke, without the alcohol. Really nice. I needed this time to be angry with football and to be sad about always feeling like I came second to a damn sports team. (I got married on a bye week, in case you were wondering. And yes, it was planned that way) I feel like I'm over it now. I let myself process the emotions and the feelings and I'm pretty sure that I'll be ready to let football back into the house in the fall.

On this Super Bowl Sunday I will not be watching the game (although, GO SAINTS!!!) but rather cleaning my house and going to Costco hoping that everyone is at home watching the game so I don't have to deal with the crowds. I'm a little sad to miss Dave's Super Bowl party cause I know there's some good food going on there! 

No comments:

Post a Comment