Monday, November 9, 2009

Competition Aftermath

Some competitors binge on junk food for days on end after a show. A few weeks after the competition you might not even recognize them. In the "off season", you might see them and not even think twice that they are a physique competitor because they've let themselves go. This happened to me last fall after my first show. Although, I don't think I went that far off the deep end, but beyond what was comfortable for me.

After the Emerald Cup last spring and again after Saturday's show I find myself in a strange place. Scared. Scared to stray off the contest diet. Scared to cut back on the cardio. Scared to lose the body that I have worked so hard to create. I'm letting myself indulge a little bit these first couple days, but I am trying to keep it all in check..."just because it's there doesn't mean I need to eat it" or "it will still be there tomorrow if I really want it that bad." It's a weird feeling after depriving yourself. The mind does funny things. But I've learned that I would rather stick to my clean eating ways and stay relatively lean than to binge on junk food after a show.

After a show I always feel a little lost. I now know how to structure my diet on my own so that I stay lean but still have enough of a surplus to build muscle. I know how to train for what I am trying to attain. But, it's just sort of that week or two after the show where I try to regain my purpose in training and find my footing again.

I've decided that this week is going to be my deloading week. I am not one of those people who can take a week or two off. I just can't. And I don't want to. So this week I am doing cardio in the morning. I'm doing 45 minutes on the stepmill if I have a break between clients and then doing an "Elite-style" workout in the gym in the evening when I get the kids. My Elite workout is full body weight training with cardio intervals and plyos mixed in. It keeps my intensity and heart rate up and keeps a small load on the muscles. I'll do this for a week or two and then go back to my heavy lifting.


No comments:

Post a Comment