Wednesday, January 4, 2017

My “One Word”

I waited for it and I waited for it and I waited for it. My “one word” for this new year. I watched as other people posted their “one word” and I continued to wait or mine. Patience. It came to me one day and I decided I didn’t really like that word. That wasn’t my word, I was sure of it. I waited some more. The next day, that same word, patience, came to me again. Seriously? I don’t want patience to be my “one word.” How about something like - create, opportunity, persist, embrace - I dunno it seems like there’s a long list of “better” words than patience. But alas, I couldn’t get rid of patience and judging by my lack of patience with the process I realized that indeed, God was giving me patience for my “one word.” 

It was only a matter of hours before my word became relevant - ok, maybe not even that long. Patience has been something I’ve struggled with my whole life. Patience in decision making, patience with my own progress, patience with others. 

This morning I got put to the test. My youngest daughter woke up and declared her tummy hurt. This is a common occurrence on school days as she suffers from severe anxiety and this is typically what she does in an effort to avoid school. It’s very frustrating. It has gotten better but it is still a common problem. And to be honest, it drives me insane. In the event that I have to pick her up from school it throws off my entire day. I have to stop whatever I’m doing, cancel any meetings and appointments. It’s very frustrating and at this time of my life is probably the thing that tests my patience the most. 

After my daughter had gone off to school, I received a call from the school nurse telling me she was complaining of a tummy ache. After discussing the matter with my child and explaining that if she comes home it’s going to be rest and no screen time, she stuck to her story and I ended up going to get her. Only to get home and have her upset because she can’t use the iPad. 

When I got the call from the school nurse I was pretty irritated. My day was full and this was not on my schedule. Patience. It was like a whisper. Patience, it’s your word and this is why. So I took a deep breath and remembered my work in patience that I need to do this year. This whole journey with my child and her special needs, including her anxiety, has been a huge test of my patience. But I know it’s necessary for my growth and I know God gave her to me for a purpose - a purpose for both of us. He is using this child to teach me.

So I took a deep breath and reminded myself to be patient. Followed by a whole lot more deep breaths. 

I don’t know if you have a word for your year. I’ve personally never done it before but it has always intrigued me. Like how do you get it? Do you just pick it? How do you know when and if God gives it to you? I didn’t have to stress about it. I asked God to give me a word and that patience word kept coming back to me again and again. I couldn't get rid of it no matter how hard I tried. I do think it’s worth considering. It seems the possibility of growth is better than many other methods we often try at the beginning of a new year. And after all, it’s just a word. Minimal commitment. 


It’s only January 4th, I don’t know what will become of my “one word” over the next 361 days. Even if I lose traction, it has already helped me and that is enough. Patience. One day at a time. I don’t have to have it all figured out today. And neither do you. 

*If you wish to choose a word for yourself this year, myoneword.org is a great resource for getting started. 

No comments:

Post a Comment