Friday, July 9, 2010

Messages from my Coffee Pot

This is going to sound corny as heck, but I am pretty sure that the Universe was attempting to sending me messages via my coffee pot. I have this amazing coffee pot...it's one of those fancy pants Cuisinart Burr Grind and Brew. A word to the manufacturer...coffee pots are for brewing coffee, coffee grinders are for grinding beans. They should remain two separate machines. The grinder on this coffee pot gave out months ago. This is my second model as the first one did the same exact thing. Well, I never got around to taking the second one back and can use it without the grinder. A few months ago the thing stopped working altogether. I would turn on and make a bunch of annoying clicking noises, but it would never brew the coffee. And then it became intermittent. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't. Sometimes it would work after an hour of making annoying clicking noises. It drove me so crazy I would swear at it and came close to throwing the damn thing a few times. Hey, when a coffee addict wants her coffee, you better give her the damn coffee!!

I haven't even attempted to use my coffee pot in 3 weeks. On Wednesday I decided it would be perfectly okay to make a couple cups of coffee. The coffee pot worked perfectly! Amazing! Today I decided again, that it would be perfectly acceptable to make another 2 cup pot of coffee. After all, this would be "normal", "balanced", "moderate." I can do this. I can get normal. Lo and behold the coffee pot made the coffee once again. And then it hit me and I started to laugh. All this time, my coffee pot has been trying to talk to me. Okay, you might call me crazy, but I like to think my coffee pot has been sending messages. No, I'm not insane.

And so, silly coffee pot story aside, my coffee addiction update: I've been "clean" now for 3 weeks. I will occasionally indulge in a nonfat decaf latte (YES, with milk!!!) or a half caf Americano. And I have decided to give this moderation thing a try and if I really feel like having a cup or two at home in the morning, I'll do it. I'm not taking fat burners or caffeine pills. I feel really good without the coffee and I don't miss it nearly as much as I thought I would. I probably miss it more from a social aspect. As in: "Want to meet at Starbucks?" It's really hard to go to Starbucks and smell all that coffee and not drink it. So, while I'm not a huge fan of decaf for other reasons, it's okay to satisfy my taste craving. I'm still drinking green tea a couple times a day, but I find I don't really need it to satisfy the "ritual" that I've left behind.

Everyday I am getting better at finding balance and moderation. This weekend...this is big...I'm not setting foot in the gym!!! What can I say? I'm a work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment